VOB to AVI conversion freeware

English Support Forum for DVDShrink

Postby steve-t » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 am

I've started converting my DVD library with AnyVideoConverter, but it's been taking between 8 to 11 hours to convert the VOB after I've extracted it with DVDshrink.

Are there any reliable freeware programs that convert VOB to AVI in less time?

I'm converting to Divx. The video size and framerate are set to the original DVD size and framerate. The video bitrate is set to 512 and the audio bitrate is set to 128.

thanks,
Steve

BTW, I have no problems with the DVDshrink software. I followed the tutorials and it extracts the VOB files without problem.
steve-t

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: VOB to AVI conversion freeware

Postby Chetwood » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 am

Conversion time depends on the speed of your computer. Use AutoGK to encode to xvid with at least 700 MB per 90 mins to get approx. 1000 kbit/s which is decent quality for SD material.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby paul_dana » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:51 pm

If you can live with MPGs, you can simply rename it from (video name).vob to (videoname).mpg. Make a continuous file by disabling the "break into 1gb chunks" preference and run DVDshrink on the movie before you rename it to mpg.
paul_dana

Postby steve-t » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks for suggesting AutoGK. It helped me figured out the problem. It's my computer. I have an ancient Toshiba laptop with a 1.1 Ghz Celeron processor and only 256 MB of RAM.

I converted "Executive Decision", a 2 hour movie with both Anyvideoconverter and AutoGK and it's a toss up. File size vs quality. I'll keep tinkering around with settings to find an acceptable compromise. Either way, conversion time is going to be extremely long.

Anyvideoconverter
File Size: 616 MB
Video Size: 720 X 480
Frame Rate: 30 FPS
Conversion Time: 12 hours
Experienced some minor pixelation for a few seconds during various parts of the movie. But only while viewing full screen.

AutoGK
File Size: 1.6 GB
Video Size: 608 X 464
Frame Rate: 23 FPS
Conversion Time: 10 hours
Quality was excellent, but the audio wouldn't play in WMP11, so I had to use VLC player to view it. The audio source was a AC3 file, but I used Auto for audio quality, so it should have converted it to mp3 according to the Auto GK instructions. I probably need to update my codecs for WMP11.
steve-t

Postby Chetwood » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:25 pm

I'd rather say you should drop the crappy WMP and use Media Player Classic or VLC.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby Apollo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:54 am

If your converting DVDs you should check out Handbrake. I use it to encode into 700mb files from DVDs using H.264 encoding and the output quality is excellent, it only takes about 1.5hours to complete a 2-pass encode as well.
Apollo

Postby oposky2006 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:22 am

well, if u wanna enjoy a fast speed and high quality, i think Pavtube DVD Ripper is a good choice for u.
oposky2006

Return to English