DVD Shrink Error "Invalid File Name"

English Support Forum for DVDShrink

Postby shebelee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 am

I have been using DVD Shrink for years. Recently, i wiped my hard drive and reinstalled all my programs, including DVD Shrink and it worked. I did have some issues a little while ago when i downloaded some updates for windows media player, but my DVD Shrink still worked. Well, 3 days ago, i tried to open DVD Shrink and it said : "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid filename. The system cannot find the path specified." I uninstalled it and reintstalled it like 50 times and I still get this message. What do i need to do? I defraged, did disc cleanup and ran symantec virus scan and it still is giving me that message. thanks
shebelee

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: DVD Shrink Error "Invalid File Name"

Postby Chetwood » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:02 am

Check your path in "Select target image file:" when you click "Backup", sounds like maybe you had it set to a directory you later deleted. You did do a real install from a setup file rather than just copying over exe? You might wanna delete all Shrink reg entries manually and try again.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby shebelee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:00 pm

I get the error message when I try to open the program, i never even get to the screen that would let me choose "target image file". Yes, i used a real setup file. Thanks for the help!
shebelee

Postby shebelee » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

I deleted all the files and folders on my computer for dvd shrink and re-downloaded it, it still gave me the same error message.
shebelee

Postby Chetwood » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:22 pm

I was referring to the registry entries.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby shebelee » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:56 am

How do I get to the registry entries so that I can delete them?
shebelee

Postby Chetwood » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:37 am

Start > Run > regedit [ENTER]. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DVD Shrink
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby shebelee » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:29 am

so i deleted all the registry entries and i re-downloaded dvd shrink and i still get the same error message. Grrrrrr! I appreciate your patience and your help. Is there another ripper that i could use that would work like dvd shrink? I would be willing to pay, but my fear is that i will end up wasting money if it doesn't work. Thanks!
shebelee

Postby Chetwood » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:34 am

You gotta pay for other rippers like DVD2One, Nero Recode and stuff but I'm quite sure the problem isn't Shrink but something that's messed up your system. So does this message occur before you open any DVD?
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby shebelee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:08 am

This pops up when I click on the DVD Shrink Icon from my desktop or from the program menu. Thanks for the help.
shebelee

Postby Chetwood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:11 am

You haven't mentioned your system yet, if it's Vista it might be related to this.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby shebelee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 pm

i have windows xp
shebelee

Postby shebelee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 am

I have been trying like crazy to find something to replace dvd shrink or to make it work somehow, with absolutely no luck. I paid for "One-Click Iso-ripper" but the resulting file is 8.5 or more gigs. I really would like to find something that can at least shrink the file so that I can put it on a single layer disk, especially since i have 30 blank ones sitting around. Is there another program I could use? If it's a problem with my system, how or where can I fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
shebelee

Return to English