Out of Memory Error

English Support Forum for DVDShrink

Out of Memory Error

Postby Trevster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 am

Trying to rip a dvd using version 3.2.0.15 but towards the end of the Backup phase it's telling me that it can't complete as not enough available memory.

PC Spec:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 3
Memory: 3.25GB RAM
Paging File: 4092MB

File is being written to an external Hard Drive which has over 290GB free. Have tried as both an ISO file and creating _TS folders.

Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers.

T
Trevster

Out of Memory Error

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Out of Memory Error

Postby Chetwood » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Although this suggests otherwise it might have to do something with copy protections Shrink can't handle. Haven't seen this message myself so far though...
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby Trevster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Have re-installed the application and changed the save location to the local hard drive instead of external and all seems to work ok now!

Very very strange...
Trevster

Postby kade714 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:38 am

I also get this error, but only when the DVD is going to be too large for a normal 4.7gb disc.
So I edit the dvd by unchecking some of the Extras so that it takes up less space.

If I don't have to edit down the dvd, then I don't get this error.
Anyone have any ideas? Is the Out of Memory message referring to RAM? I have 2gb. I have 30gb+ hd space.
kade714

Postby alsemail » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:33 am

No it's to do with copy protection, read the forum stickies on decryption as DvdShrink won't backup newer movies by itself, it really is only useful in compression and basic reauthoring with anything released by a major studio after 2003/4?
You need other tools to remove the protection and then use Shrink to do it's excellent job of compressing.
alsemail
Site Moderator

Postby kade714 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:52 am

alsemail,

I'm not sure if that's true. I burn Ratatouille just fine and that's a new movie. I've always burned any movies fine, until it comes to when I have to edit something.
kade714

Postby kade714 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:44 am

I will try DvdFab. Thanks
kade714

Postby MeTa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:27 am

you can also try increasing the size of your paging file. I wil give you directions for XP - I am not familier enough to tell you how to di ti with vista off the top of my head...

open your control pannel / go to system (classic view, not catagory) / advanced tab / in the box for "performance" click settings / click the "advanced" tab / at the bottom, it will say "virtual memory" - click the button that says change / now click the box that says custom size - I have this one set to 1500 in both boxes (initial size, and maximum size).

what that does is trade a relatively small amount of "storage" space for a proportanitly larger amount of "virtual" ram - 1.5 GB.

it will help avoid "not enough memory available" errors, "buffer overflow" errors, and other problems associated with the lack of ram.

I'm sure it is similer in Vista, I just havnet done it yet :)

hope it helps
MeTa

Postby Genevieve » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:07 am

Try using Nero Recode it works for me
Genevieve

Postby rocketdive2001 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:04 pm

I got this error also ... the disc was clearly not protected by any copy-protection but rather it was due to one fact:

My XP pro was running on 4GB worth of RAM ... clearly XP doesn't support 4GB entirely and the excess RAM seems to be the root of the problem ..

How do i know? I actually removed 2 GB worth of the RAM and boom, DVDShrink worked as it did before my RAM upgrade! No more issues already!

Maybe other software could work over this problem, i dunno, i have no time to test with other programs, but this seems surefire enough to resolve the issue. Maybe if someone else has this issue, try removing a physical RAM and see if it helps! :)
rocketdive2001

Postby daver » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Seems that there is a lot of uncertainty and misinformation out there about why this error occurs. I cannot see how reducing or installing RAM would affect the performance of only this one program, while your system works fine for all other programs. I've had this error as well on a fast system with lots of RAM. The program, when it is processing a file before showing the error, shows 100% CPU usage on all cores, and the RAM usage goes in a straight line from a normal level until it is completely used up, increasing at 10-20 MB/s. Pretty serious memory leak! It seems that some unknown condition in the decrypted file causes some bug in the program to use up memory without releasing it, and changing whatever conditions in the original file, the program installation and/or the operating system somehow prevents the bug from messing things up.
daver

Postby Chetwood » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:59 am

I'm still suggesting this problems stems from copy protections. Never had this problem on any of my systems but if you do you might rip the DVD again with DVDfab HD Decrypter and see if it persists.
Chetwood
Site Moderator

Postby Genevieve » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 pm

There's another way of doing this, use DVD Fab like two times, first rip the whole movie as usual with all the menus and extras, secondly take only the main movie leave the menus and extras then rip it to your hard drive. Start DVD Shrink go to open files and add the main movie you saved from the second time with DVD Fab and shrink it to 4.4GB or less, I promise you won't get any errors.
Genevieve

Postby nuclearpenguin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:38 am

Good evening,

I'm still a newb at burning, though I've been at it for about four years or so. I used to rip with Shrink and then copy with CloneDvd2. Now my arsenal consists of DvdFab5, VobBlanker, VTSFix, and Shrink using ImgBurn or Nero to finish the disc. I only actually backup movies I own because I loan movies out all the time and never get them back :)

At any rate, lately I've been hitting the Out of Memory error. I am running XP Media Center with 4gigs, even though Media Center only technically recognizes 3.5gigs. I have an Athlon X2 5200 and a 320 gig hd partitioned in quarters. I only use one of them for storing movies before I transfer them to disk and delete backup on hard drive. I've followed several guides on afterdawn, etc and set up the options for the proggies I use just like the moderators suggest and I have set the region on my drive, RMA settings, all that fun stuff. I'm even in the process of adjusting my virtual memory, though I'm unsure how high to set it. I, at the present moment, am backing up the first narnia and have had the memory error twice so I'm paused while I type to let the Page File Usage drop down.

I never noticed before, probably because I never had any problems, but I've been keeping Task Manager open today and my CPU usage is always at 100%. I am completely open to the idea of copyright protection causing the spike, but last night I had the same problem with the CN Clone Wars series and I honestly ran DvdFab5 twice, VobBlanker once, VTSFix once, and Shrink until I wanted to pull my hair out and I constantly locked up...well Shrink did.

So I guess what I'm asking is, "Am I using too many programs or just not understanding the concept behind ripping?" Honestly, I never Re-author. One time I re-authored like 3:10 to Yuma because I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Since then, I only copy Main Movie...I don't need all the features because I own the movie.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated,

NP
nuclearpenguin

Postby SBisquit » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 pm

I have been using dvdshrink for 3 years without this problem until I tried to shrink a particular movie
(The Clay Bird, 2006). After getting thru 60% of this movie DvdShrink crashes. Note that I mean
a true "crash" (not a crc error, or program hangs, or any error reported by DvdShrink itself).
The program is terminated by the OS due to a program fault and then (on XP) the OS offers to report
the crash error to Microsoft (I seem to recall an error message like "bad handle" being reported).

I've tried the same operation on Vista and got a crash at the same point in the compression
process, though the error message in this case is "out of memory" (which I'm guessing is the
same problem on XP) There is nothing wrong with the physical DVD. I have played the entire
DVD on the DVD drive on my system, and I can read/copy the DVD to my hard drive disk using
DVDFab on both my XP or VISTA systems without any errors. When I then tried to use DVDShrink
on the folder which DVDFab creates to make the compressed ISO file DvdShrink crashes the same
way. This crash happens using DvdShrink on either the DVD or on the DvdFab copy on both systems
so there is something in the data itself which DVDShrink cannot handle. I have tried selecting only
the Main Movie component, instead of the entire DVD, and same crash occurs. As I understand it,
DVDFab removes the copy protection information when creating the set of VOB files on the hard drive,
so that copy protection does not seem to be what is causing the DvdShrink crash? I can also read the
DVD using DVD Decrypter to create an ISO file on my hard drive without any problems.

On XP the application even viewer log records an application error which says
"Faulting app dvdshrink 3.2.exe version 3.2.0.15, faulting module ntdll.dll .."
on VISTA the event viewer log has this --

Faulting application DVD Shrink 3.2.exe, version 3.2.0.15, time stamp 0x4103f8b5,
faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6,
exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0004361e, process id 0x1f0,
application start time 0x01c9be0634bc1b50.

Unfortunately I don't know of any program other than DvdShrink which can compress
a 7GB DVD image so that it can be burned on a 4.7GB DVD-R. :(

However I think it may be possible to use DvdFAB to break the DVD-9 into two
parts which can then be burned onto separate 4.7GB DVD-Rs .. but I have
not researched this as yet (and only have the free version of DVDFab, which
may not support this?)
SBisquit

Next

Return to English